1.11.2010

By any other name...

a boy would still smell like a boy. No help to us picking a name for our baby due...today. We apologize to our family who have gone through this process with us and have been undoubtedly confused by our wishy washy ways. We started the process with a few of our faves left over from naming Kade, but then found ourselves adding new ones to the list. We LOVE the name Malakai (Malachi), but decided that we want to save it for the boy we hope to adopt one day. I've always liked Mason, but it is sooo popular. My sister and I both have found a fondness for the name Cohen, but it's also getting too popular, and we know a couple with a boy named that. So, Bill and I had narrowed it down to around 6 and ruled out most for various reasons. In the summer we had decided on River and started telling people about it. Well, many hated it, or just said "oh, like River Pheonix." So we revisited the poll we had posted online and went with the most popular name, Ryder. I believe this was summer, early fall, that we shared the name with everyone. A month or so later I read in Parents magazine that Ryder will be one the top names for 2010. Then on babynames.com, it was listed in the top 100 for 2009. I just really don't want him to have a popular/common name, so this started to bug me. THEN... I received a Pottery Barn Kids catalog in the mail and they now have a Ryder bedding line!
We were on the fence for so long about changing the name again because everyone seemed to receive Ryder so well; and Kade was already using that name. We put our other two faves (now River and Porter) back on the table and started telling family that we just weren't sure. For months we threw them around:
River Isaiah
Ryder Hayes
Porter Canyon

We weighed the options and have finally come back to River!
No, not like River Pheonix!

Although we run the risk of being called hippies or other, I love it! It will grow on you. I think it is a great boy's name and I'm so excited for him to get here!

River


No comments:

Post a Comment