4.17.2010

College

In some senses, my first reaction is "who needs it?" or "boo" or "what a waste."  But sadly, I recognize that those are not complete truths and I NEED to finish my degree.  Also sadly, the process will drag on even longer because of our big move (which is not completely public yet, so shhhhhh).  Bill will be graduating on May 8th, woohoo, and will be moving directly into a PhD program.  Sometimes I think about how he rubs elbows with all these big wig scholars and his wifey doesn't even have a Bachelor's yet...
I try to not get down about it or belittle myself, because I know that I'm doing the important work of raising my children well.  Sometimes I still harbor my teenaged notions of rejecting society's standards, becoming a yogi and that I CAN change the world without a degree.  You don't need a degree to do God's work, do you?  Sometimes you do...

I returned to school Jan 2009.  I "resigned" from classes this semester when River was born; silly me, I thought I could hack it (costing us an amount of money that I'm just going to ignore).  I cannot finish my degree at Pitt when we move without jumping through many fire burning hoops.  I cannot start school in CA for a year until I gain residency (unless I want to pay another sum of money that I don't even want to think about).  ALSO, I will have to ditch one of my majors which, simply put, makes me sad.  There are three or four things I want to do, always have wanted to do, and I've tried combining as many as possible.  Now I have to choose just one, at least for this stage of my life.  I wish grown-ups were assigned counselors like in high school that helped you decide on your career...

So here is where it lands me.  Multiple attempts, some failed and some successful, at self-improvement and do-it-yourself projects.  Sewing crafts galore.  Trying to find time for working out.  Reading lots of books that are leaving me craving adventure and travel.  For now, I'm just killing time, figuring things out, wishing I was training in yoga and dreaming of adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment