12.15.2009

The Boys' Room



Sage.  I have recently fallen in love with this color.  The bedrooms in our new house were already sage when we moved in.  I'm hooked.  

And I have a new love for the Montessori philosophy.  While it generally is an education style, I've discovered it is also a way of life in the home with a young child.  Check out this blog http://sewliberated.typepad.com/sew_liberated/2009/04/finnians-montessori-room.html to see an awesome example of a Montessori styled bedroom for a young boy.

 I've also recently warmed up to all things boy, seeing as how I'm having my second one.  When I was pregnant with Kade, I dreaded the thoughts of sports, cars, and other "boy" themed rooms.  Thank goodness his favorite things are animals!  Now I am realizing that he can love any of those things, but I don't have adorn his room with cartoonish replicas of these ultra masculine pieces of the world.  


Point:  I've been working on ideas for the bedroom the boys will share (Kade also has a playroom, but one thing at a time).  I want it to be simplistic and focus on education materials, independence, nature, and God.  Montessori design suggests that all things are at the child's height, including artwork.  There should be a mirror so the child can watch themselves move, as well as start to dress themselves.  While I'm not going to empty the dresser or the closet, I think we will put a small basket of clothes next to a mirror, so Kade can explore and practice when he wants.  Here are some of the things we already have or would like to put in the room to achieve this peaceful place.  I'm also working on making a Scripture mobile.  I'll post pictures of it when I finish.




sage rug for reading area


Kade's dresser





2 comments:

  1. Great post Jodie! I love all the boy stuff and the Montessori philosophy. Kade and Baby-to-be are lucky boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! You're such a great Mom! I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete